Thriving With Diabetes Education Program
Learning you have diabetes is a shock. Don’t settle for just surviving with diabetes when you can thrive! Avance Care’s diabetes education program helps you develop practical strategies that make managing diabetes easier and even enjoyable.
Our diabetes educators will work with you to create a lifestyle plan that helps you manage your blood sugars while still incorporating foods and activities that you love.
What Our Program Offers
Two out of three patients achieved an A1C less than 7 within 3 months of starting the program.
Session 1: "Get to Know You" Visit (90-minute visit)
- Discuss your medical history, current lifestyle habits, diabetes self-care behaviors and goals
- Create an individualized learning plan with your dietitian for how to manage your diabetes and overall wellness
- Learn the basics of diabetes, blood sugar monitoring and treatment options available to you
Session 2: Eating Healthy with Diabetes (60-minute visit)
- Review your food and blood sugar journals to learn your patterns
- Learn how your daily eating habits compare with recommendations by participating in a nutritional analysis activity
- Discuss carbohydrate counting, reading food labels, and strategies for dining out
Session 3: Personalized Healthy Eating Plan (60-minute visit)
- Create an individualized meal plan tailored to your food preferences
- Practice meal planning and tips for eating healthier “on the go”
- Receive delicious and healthy recipes to match your meal plan
Session 4: The Daily Dose: Medications and Preventing High and Low Blood Sugar (60-minute visit)
- Review your medications and how they work in your body
- This session may be provided by our clinical pharmacist, who can work with you to optimize your medication regimen
- Discuss additional vitamins, minerals and complementary and alternative medicine
- Learn how to prevent and treat low and high blood sugar and how to navigate sick days
Session 5: Staying Active and Moving Towards Health (60-minute visit)
- Find out how physical activity affects your blood sugar
- Create personalized physical activity goals
- Learn how to reduce your risk of cardiovascular, kidney, eye, and nerve complications and how to care for your feet
Session 6: Getting the Support You Need (60-minute visit)
- Find out how stress affects your blood sugar
- Discuss problem-solving, motivation, stress management, and relaxation techniques, as well as strategies for increasing support from family, friends, healthcare providers, and the community
- Practice stress management techniques such as meditation or breathing exercises, if desired
- Behavioral wellness providers are available to assist with healthy coping and stress management, as needed
Post Program Support
Ongoing follow up sessions are recommended for accountability and additional coaching. We suggest committing to bi-weekly sessions with your dietitian (RDN) for optimal results.
What will it Cost?
Most health insurance plans cover this program provided by a licensed dietitian. In some cases, you may be eligible for unlimited benefits with no co-pay or deductible. Our Specialty Services Coordinators will call your insurance provider to verify your benefits and will alert you of any co-pays or fees, if applicable.
Speak to your healthcare provider for a program referral or call Avance Specialty Services directly at 919-237-1337.