This recipe is a perfect combination of fresh citrus and summer herbs for your next family dinner! I served this with turmeric ginger rice, and then used the extra to prep a refreshing chicken salad for lunches. This roasted chicken would also pair well with a fresh summer mixed green salad with fruit!
1/4 cup olive oil
4 teaspoons minced garlic
2 whole lemons, one juiced and one sliced
2 whole oranges, one juiced and one sliced
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and black pepper, to taste
12 pieces chicken legs and thigh pieces, with skin
1 medium onion, thinly sliced into rings
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
Extra dried herbs including rosemary, thyme, parsley, for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove chicken pieces from packaging and pat dry.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, orange juice, Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces to mixture and stir until well coated.
- Arrange a third of the lemon and orange pieces on the bottom of a rimmed 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, and about half of the sliced onion rings.
- Place chicken pieces in dish skin-side up and spread them out evenly in the pan. Pour olive oil mixture over chicken.
- Arrange the rest of the slices of lemon, orange, and onion around and on top of the chicken. Sprinkle all over generously with thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear. For crispier chicken, turn pieces over and roast for 15 more minutes.
- Move parts to a serving platter and garnish with additional herbs, if desired.
Serving Size: 2 pieces
Calories: 480, Fat: 21g, Protein: 57g, Carbohydrates: 13g, Fiber: 2g, Sodium: 296mg
Learn about our Nutrition Services here.