Thriving with Diabetes
Avance Care’s diabetes education program helps you develop practical strategies that make managing diabetes easier. Our diabetes educators will work with you to create a lifestyle plan that helps you manage your blood sugar while still incorporating foods and activities that you love.
We highly recommend taking our 5-week virtual Thriving Diabetes Class together with one-on-one counseling.
What to Expect
- A comprehensive individual initial assessment of your medical history, current lifestyle, and personal goals
- A 5-week dietitian-led Thriving with Diabetes virtual series, where you can meet and learn from others with diabetes
- Individual follow-up appointments with your dietitian to discuss personalized topics such as meal planning, medications or carbohydrate goals
- An in-depth understanding of what diabetes is and how to prevent complications
- Healthy eating for diabetes including meal planning, grocery shopping and recipe development
- Stress management and mindful eating skills
- Help preventing chronic complications such as heart or kidney disease
- Healthy weight management if desired
- Ongoing follow up with your dietitian
Many insurance plans cover this program. Our nutrition coordinators will call your insurance provider to verify your benefits and will provide you with a quote of any co-pays or fees, if applicable.
Virtual Support Programs
Virtual Support Group
Managing diabetes can feel overwhelming at times and taking care of yourself may get put on the back burner when other life responsibilities come up. That is why Avance Care created a free virtual diabetes support group to aid in managing your diabetes and help accomplish your health goals.
This free virtual diabetes support group meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month, from 5:30-6:30 PM, and is facilitated by one of our registered dietitians. This support group is open to the community. We welcome families and caregivers to attend.
Support group topics include:
- Healthy eating tips
- Navigating new diabetes technologies
- Meal planning tips
- Mindfulness techniques
- Quick exercise ideas
- Emotional eating and food cravings
- Stress management
- Preventing diabetes burnout
Not sure if this support group is for you?
Consider these four ways that participating in diabetes support groups can improve your health and well-being:
- Sometimes having a chronic condition such as diabetes can feel isolating. Having a support group means you are never alone in managing your condition.
- Support groups provide a lot of practical advice for managing diabetes that comes from others with experience managing it themselves.
- Support groups provide personal connections, which is what makes them so effective. Members often have similar challenges and can help each other through tough times and problem solving.
- Guest speakers and rotating topics connect you to new therapies, research and community resources, helping you stay cutting edge with managing your health.
To learn more, call 919.237.1337 or click the button below to complete the interest form and someone will be in touch with you.
Avance Care’s diabetes programs are accredited with the Diabetes Education Accreditation Program, ensuring that we meet national standards for diabetes self-management education and support.