Tuscan Vegetable Soup
Written by: Doris Nicolas-Mir, MPH, RDN, LDN, CDCES
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Makes: 7 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound Italian turkey sausage, sliced into ½ inch pieces
½ cup chopped onions
3 cups small white potatoes, quartered
1 cup carrots, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
4 cups water
2 cups kale, de-stemmed, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cups tomatoes, diced
1 cup heavy cream
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and brown until cooked though.
- Add onions and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add potatoes, carrots and garlic and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth, water, kale, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer or to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove lid and add tomatoes. Cook uncovered for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, remove bay leaf, and stir in heavy cream. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
Calories: 352, Fat: 22.7g, Protein: 13g, Carbohydrates: 25g, Fiber: 2.3g, Sodium: 813mg
Even though winter is winding down, it’s never a bad time to enjoy a bowl of hearty soup. This Tuscan veggie soup includes kale and carrots, which are both high in antioxidants like vitamin A. Using turkey sausage is a great way to lower the fat content of a recipe without compromising the flavor. Make this soup on the weekend and reheat for a quick lunch or dinner meal during the week.
Adapted from: Misfits Market recipe #37