Written by: Julia Bumpus, MS, RDN, LDN
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Makes: 4 servings (2 cups total)
1 tablespoon canola oi
1 tablespoon Tamari brand or other gluten free soy sauce (Be sure to read labels because not all brands are gluten free)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 350g block extra-firm tofu, drained (This equal 14 oz, the standard size found in grocery stores)
3/4 – 1 1/4 cups salsa
Serving Size: 2 tacos
½ cup of tofu crumbles – put ¼ cup in each taco
2 6” corn tortillas (You may use flour if preferred however they are not gluten free)
1/4 of small avocado
½ cup shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line with parchment paper or grease the baking sheet to prevent sticking
- Press excess water out of the tofu. Place a thick layer of paper towels on the bottom and top of tofu block. Press down with hands on tofu to drain out the water. Paper towel will soak up the extra water. Repeat as needed until tofu does not drip water.
- Mix oil, soy sauce, and all the spices in a bowl until a brown paste-like texture forms.
- Using your hands, crumble the block of tofu into the bowl with the seasonings. Mix the tofu crumbles with the seasoning to evenly coat. Spread the tofu crumbles evenly over the pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Stir the tofu half way through to cook evenly. Keep a close eye on it towards the end so that it doesn’t burn. Tofu should be nice and browned. The smaller crumbles will be darker than the larger crumbles, and that’s ok because it will provide a variety of textures.
- Remove crumbles from the oven and add to a nonstick pan with the 3/4 cup salsa. You may need more salsa depending on how watery the salsa is and how wet you would like your tofu crumbles to be, add more salsa to taste.
- Stir mixture over medium heat until warm. Dish out crumbles onto tortillas and top with lettuce and avocado.
Nutritional Information for Two Tacos:
Calories: 263, Fat: 12g (2g saturated), Protein: 10g, Carbohydrates: 29g, Fiber: 5g, Sodium: 331mg
The tofu crumbles are easy to make, versatile, and are loved by both herbivores and carnivores alike! Throw on top of a salad or wrap them in a burrito! Baking the tofu gives the crumbles a great texture and the seasonings pack in the flavor. Tofu is a healthier option than your typical ground beef with less calories and saturated fat. The crumbles can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an airtight container.