“The Walter” Spaghetti Squash Boats
Written by: Erin Burke MS, RDN, LDN
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes (microwave) to 1 hour (oven)
1 medium spaghetti squash, halved
6 ounces shredded chicken, cooked (approximately 1 cup)
2 tablespoons buffalo wing sauce (i.e. Frank’s)
2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (approximately 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup light ranch dressing
2 tablespoon General Tso’s sauce
In the Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with cooking spray. Carefully cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Spray top of squash with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast, cut side up, for approximately 1 hour.
Microwave Method: Place cut squash (seeds removed) in microwave-safe dish and cover. Microwave 8-9 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape “spaghetti” strands from squash into a bowl and return squash to baking sheet, cut side up.
- Combine 2 cups “spaghetti” stands, chicken, and buffalo wing sauce in a large bowl and distribute mixture evenly among the two boats.
- Sprinkle 1 ounce mozzarella cheese on top of each boat.
- Bake boats until heated through and cheese is bubbling, approximately 10-12 minutes. If chicken and boats have been chilled before cooking, bake at least 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with ranch dressing and General Tso’s sauce.
Inspired by a family-favorite pizza recipe, this creative dish combines the bold flavors of buffalo, ranch, and General Tso’s sauce. This diabetes-friendly, low carbohydrate meal is one the whole family will love! To save time, roast the squash on Sunday to make this is a 15-minute weeknight meal, or simply use the microwave method. Store-bought rotisserie chicken with the skin removed can be another time-saving trick. Watching sodium? Try swapping out the ranch dressing for a home-made Greek Yogurt Ranch, Which can be found in Avance Care’s Healthy Eating Cookbook, Volume 2, available at your local Avance Care office (for free!)
Calories: 306, Fat: 12g, Carbohydrates: 17g, Sugar: 5g, Protein: 31g