Southwest Chicken Casserole
Written by: Erin Burke, MS, RDN, LDN
As the weather cools down, whip up this one-pan southwest chicken casserole! Non-fat Greek yogurt adds a creamy texture without the extra saturated fat in sour cream. The beans and brown rice add a punch of soluble fiber that can help manage cholesterol levels and keep you full for longer. Try garnishing with some diced avocado for a super satisfying meal!
Short on prep time in the evening? This can also be made in a crock pot! Toss all ingredients in and cook on low for 8 hours.
Only have uncooked rice? Add 1 cup uncooked rice and 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth to the pan before cooking.
Serving size: about 1 cup
Yield: 8 servings
2 large chicken breasts (uncooked), cut into pieces
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup diced onion
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned that has been drained and rinsed)
1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 16-ounce jar of salsa (Sodium content based on regular salsa. Using a reduced-sodium or homemade version will decrease sodium content).
1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Green onion, sliced, for garnish
Avocado, diced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13″ baking dish with non-stick spray and place chicken in bottom of pan.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except the cheese, in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Top chicken with rice mixture and cover with foil.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 1 hours.
- Remove foil and top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Return to oven for additional 10 minutes, or until cheese browns and bubbles.
- Serve with sliced green onions and/or avocado!
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
Calories: 245 cal, Fat: 4g, Sat Fat: 2g, Carbohydrates: 29g, Fiber: 5g, Sodium: 341mg, Protein: 23g