Seven Layer Dinner
Written by: Kaci Oliver, MS, RDN, LDN
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Makes: 7 servings
2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 pound 7% lean ground turkey or ground turkey breast
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup diced yellow onion
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
2 cups peeled and thinly sliced sweet potatoes (1/8-inch thick)
8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms (about 3 cups)
2 cups chopped fresh Swiss chard or Kale
5 ounces plain goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- Place quinoa and water in a 2-quart saucepan. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook on low until all water is absorbed. Fluff quinoa with a fork.
- While quinoa cooks, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add ground turkey, rosemary, and garlic. Cook until meat is browned, about 5 to 8 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Remove mixture from pan and place in a bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and thyme and saute until onions are soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Season with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Mist a 2 1/2-quart (or 9-by-13 inch) casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Layer sweet potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish and season with 1/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper.
- Spread onions on top of potatoes and quinoa over the onions.
- Place mushrooms on the quinoa and season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Layer chard on the mushrooms and then add the cooked turkey mixture.
- Sprinkle goat cheese on top, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes
- Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Calories: 297, Fat: 15g, Protein: 21g, Carbohydrates: 20g, Fiber: 3g, Sodium: 497mg
Nutrition Tips: This seven-layer casserole, also known as “shipwreck” casserole, was developed to create a hearty meal using leftovers. This lightened up version is bursting with fall flavor from the sweet potatoes, thyme and rosemary. It is full of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin K and vitamin A from the sweet potatoes and greens, and lean protein from the ground turkey breast. The best part…it is so flavorful from the herbs that your family will never know it is “healthy.”