Written by: Julia Bumpus, MS, RDN, LDN
Makes: 16 servings
1 ½ cups quick cooking oats
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
⅓ cup sugar
¼ cup flax seeds
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium)
2 tablespoons nut butter
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- Cook quinoa according to package.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9” by 9” baking sheet with parchment paper and grease the sides with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, quinoa, sugar, baking powder, and flax seeds.
- In a separate bowl, mix the banana, nut butter, eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients, mixing everything together until fully combined. The batter should be moist but not runny. Fold in the blueberries.
- Transfer the batter on the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake on the center rack for 25-35 minutes until the bars are golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove and let cool completely in the pan, then remove and slice into 16 squares or rectangles.
Serving Size: 1 bar
Calories: 113, Fat: 3g, Protein: 4g, Carbohydrates: 18g, Fiber: 3g, Sodium: 19mg
Nutrition Tip: This is the perfect breakfast for those who need to eat on the go! It contains many healthy nutrients such as iron, fiber, protein, and even cancer fighting antioxidants from the blueberries. It’s a lighter meal so feel free to eat two or consume with a higher protein option like soy milk or a boiled egg. Keep it interesting and try various nut butters such as peanut butter, walnut butter, or almond butter! This breakfast has the sweet flavor profile of blueberry pancakes with the convenience of a granola bar. One batch makes enough for 2 weeks! Store in an airtight container for 4-5 days or freeze.