Italian Braised Chicken
Written by: Julia Bumpus, MS, RDN, LDN
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 10 servings
10 skinless chicken thighs on the bone, 5 ounces each
kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cups low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram (oregano or thyme work also)
3 – 4 small sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and fresh pepper.
- Place a large heavy pot on medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- When hot, add the chicken and sear until browned on all sides, about 6-7 minutes on each side.
- Transfer chicken to a dish and set aside.
- Sauté garlic and onions (and red pepper flakes if using) in remaining oil; sauté until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add celery and carrots and sauté on medium-low for about 2-3 minutes, until soft.
- Add the wine and chicken broth, scraping any caramelized bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, marjoram, and rosemary and cook on low for 8 hours.
Serving Size: 3 ounces chicken, ½ cup sauce
Calories: 221, Fat: 7.5g, Protein: 29.5g, Carbohydrates: 6g, Fiber: 1.5g, Sodium: 362mg
Nutrition Tip: This classic Italian dish is ideal for the family and makes enough for plenty of leftovers. The crockpot cooks the chicken to tender perfection, allowing it to absorb the flavors of garlic, rosemary, & marjoram. Served alone, it is low–calorie, low–carb and low–sodium but would also taste great served over rice, pasta, or your favorite whole grain.
Adapted from: https://www.skinnytaste.com/pollo-in-potacchio/