Crock Pot Salsa Chicken with Black Beans and Corn
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours
Makes: 4 servings
1, 15 ounce can of no salt added corn, rinsed and drained
1, 15 ounce can of no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
½ teaspoon adobo seasoning (may substitute with salt to taste)
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 ¼ cups chunky, mild salsa
½ cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 avocado (optional)
- Combine corn and beans and put them in a crock pot or slow cooker.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half to make 4 total breasts (cut them crosswise so they remain thick). Season the chicken with adobo seasoning (or salt), garlic powder, and cumin. Place in the crock pot and top with salsa.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the chicken breasts, cover, and cook until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, transfer the chicken, black beans, and corn with a slotted spoon into a bowl. Top each serving with ¼ of an avocado (optional)
Serving Size: ¼ recipe (1 chicken breast + ¼ of corn/black bean mixture).
Calories: 437, Fat: 13g, Protein: 36g, Carbohydrates: 38g, Fiber: 13g, Sodium: 654mg
Nutrition Tip: I am a sucker for a good crock pot meal to make my life easier during the week and this recipe does not disappoint! Packed with protein, fiber, and flavor, this dish is delicious by itself or served over cauliflower rice or brown rice. It also makes great leftovers for lunch!