Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup frozen carrots
1 cup chopped celery (about 2 medium stalks)
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken breast, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces (I did this the day before)
1 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
Non-stick cooking spray
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup non-fat milk
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and saute onions, carrots and celery for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
3. In a medium bowl, add a small amount of unheated chicken broth to the flour and stir until smooth. Slowly mix in the remaining broth and then add to vegetable mixture. Stir over medium heat as the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the chicken, peas, salt and pepper to taste. Heat on low while making the dumplings.
5. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl.
6. In a separate bowl, add the egg to the milk and beat until well blended. Stir milk mixture into the flour until combined.
7. Coat a 9x13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
8. Pour the chicken mixture into the casserole dish. Using a tablespoon, drop 6 dumplings onto the mixture.
9. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the dumplings are golden brown.
10. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Serving Size: 1/6 of casserole – with 1 dumpling
Calories: 232, Fat: 9.5g, Protein: 24g, Carbohydrates: 12.7g, Fiber: 2.5g, Sodium: 631mg
Nutrition Tips: A classic southern meal lightened up and jam-packed with vegetables. Enjoy the flavors of home-made, yet super easy, dumplings with a creamy sauce. Use the convenience of frozen vegetables to save time chopping.