Written by: Nadeen Risi, MS, RDN, LDN
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
Non-stick cooking spray
2 ¼ cups old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
~3 medium sized bananas, mashed with a fork (the riper, the better)
¾ cup milk – I used skim milk, but use the type of milk or milk alternative you prefer
3 tablespoons honey
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add old fashioned oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until combined and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mashed banana, milk, honey, egg and vanilla extract until fully combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until everything is completely blended.
- Gently fold in the blueberries. If you are using frozen, be extra careful to not over mix to turn the bake purple. Pour into baking pan and smooth it out on top.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Slice into 8 servings and serve warm. To enjoy later, let it cool completely, cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Calories: 171, Fat: 3.2g, Protein: 4.8g, Carbohydrates: 32.6g, Fiber: 4g, Sodium: 104.5mg
Nutrition Tip: Breakfast just got significantly easier. This quick and flavorful breakfast can be made over the weekend and then quickly reheated for the weekdays. I like to add a couple pieces of turkey bacon or one to two hard-boiled egg whites to balance out the meal with protein. The wonderful part about this food is the natural sweetness from the bananas and the filling fiber from the blueberries. This can be a nice treat in the evening as well.