Written by: Christina Dauer, MPH, RD, LD/N, CDE
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 24 (12 servings)
12 jalapeño peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
4 ½ ounces light cream cheese
2 ounces shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
5 medium scallions, green part only, thinly sliced
½ cup panko crumbs
⅛ teaspoon paprika
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
⅛ teaspoon chili powder
⅛ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
½ cup egg beaters or egg whites, beaten
Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Wearing rubber gloves, cut peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and membrane.
- Combine cream cheese, cheddar and scallions in a medium bowl.
- Combine panko, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Fill peppers with cheese filling using a small spoon or spatula and then dip peppers in egg beaters.
- Place each pepper in panko mixture, using a spoon to coat them, making sure all the seasoning doesn’t fall to the bottom of the bowl.
- Spray a baking pan with cooking spray. You can line pan with parchment paper for easier clean up. Lightly spray the peppers with a little more cooking spray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and cheese oozes out.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
Serving Size: 2 poppers
Calories: 60, Fat: 3g, Protein: 4g, Carbohydrates: 4g, Fiber: 1g, Sodium: 146mg
Nutrition Tip: Looking for a lightened-up game day snack? Look no further! This recipe packs in the flavor with less calories and fat. Do not touch your eyes or nose while cutting hot peppers – with or without gloves. The capsaicin content of these peppers can cause burning and irritation to your eyes and nose!.