Sofrito Chicken Stew
Enjoy this flavorful Latin dish, made healthier by using skinless drumsticks and a low fat sofrito sauce. This stew pairs well over cooked brown rice, with baked tostones, or arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon peas).
Serving Size: 1 drumstick + sauce
½ tablespoon olive oil
6 scallions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
2 tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 packet sazon
8 drumsticks, on the bone (skin removed), about 4 ounces each
½ teaspoon garlic powder
6 ounces light beer
1 cup water
Salt to taste
½ cup cilantro, chopped (or to taste)
1. Heat oil in a deep sauté pan.
2. Add scallions and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and peppers.
4. Season with salt, cumin and sazon. Set aside.
5. Season drumsticks with salt and garlic powder and place in center of sauté pan, allowing chicken to brown slightly on both sides.
6. Combine with sofrito, beer, water and cilantro. Adjust salt if desired.
7. Cover pan and simmer on low until chicken is cooked through, about 20-30 minutes.
8. Serve with your preferred side of brown rice, baked tostones, beans, or arroz con gandules.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 110 kcal, Fat: 3g, Carbohydrates: 5g, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 14g, Sodium: 382 mg
Adapted from: http://www.skinnytaste.com/sofrito-chicken-stew-5-ww-pts/