Roasted Chickpea Poppers
Healthy snacking is easier when you can feel good about choosing a food you love. These roasted chickpea poppers are a quick and easy option that can be adapted to fit your favorite flavors. Used as a replacement for chips or crackers, this vegetarian snack increases fiber and protein intake to help keep you full until your next meal. But don’t feel limited to just snack time, chickpea poppers can also be tossed into a salad or sprinkled over soup to replace croutons.
Servings: 8 Servings (1/3 cup each)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Two 15-ounce cans no salt added chickpeas (3 cups chickpeas), drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 to 4 teaspoons spices or finely chopped fresh herbs, like chili powder, curry powder, garam masala, cumin, smoked paprika, rosemary, thyme, or other favorite spices and herbs.
1. Heat the oven to 400°F: Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven.
2. Rinse and drain the chickpeas: Open the cans of chickpeas and pour the chickpeas into a strainer in the sink. Rinse thoroughly under running water.
3. Dry the chickpeas: Pat the chickpeas very dry with a clean dishtowel or paper towels. If you have time, leave them to air-dry for a few minutes. Remove any chickpea skins that come off while drying, but otherwise don’t worry about them.
4. Toss the chickpeas with olive oil: Spread the chickpeas out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Stir with your hands or a spatula to make sure the chickpeas are evenly coated. One half to 3/4 teaspoon of salt can be added with the olive oil if desired.
5. Roast the chickpeas in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes: Stir the chickpeas or shake the pan every 10 minutes. A few chickpeas may pop – that’s normal. The chickpeas are done when golden and slightly darkened, dry and crispy on the outside, and soft in the middle.
6. Toss the chickpeas with the spices: Sprinkle the spices over the chickpeas and stir to coat evenly.
7. Serve while the chickpeas are still warm and crispy. They will gradually lose their crispiness as they cool, becoming delightfully chewy.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
Calories: 101 cal, Fat: 5 g, Carbohydrates: 17 g, Fiber: 5 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 4 mg
Adapted from: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-roasted-chickpeas-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-219753