Nutrition Fact: September is National Potato Month and there is plenty of reason to celebrate with this nutrient packed and easy vegetarian dinner. One medium sweet potato provides 400% of your daily vitamin A requirement, which can assist in improving your vision. Furthermore, sweet potatoes along with black beans provide a substantial amount of healthy dietary fiber to promote gastrointestinal health and lower cholesterol as well as reduce your risk of diabetes!
Makes: 4 servings (1 potato each)
4 medium sized sweet potatoes
1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
1 tsp taco seasoning
1 tsp olive or canola oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
A pinch of salt
1-1/3 cups reduced sodium canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup mild or spicy salsa
1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro
- Poke holes in the potato with a fork and wrap in a wet paper towel.
- Cook on your microwave’s potato setting until potatoes are soft and cooked through (about 8-10 minutes on high for 4 potatoes).
- If you don’t have a microwave, bake without paper towel for about 45 minutes at 400°F.
- While potatoes are cooking, mix yogurt and taco seasoning in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add peppers, onions, chili powder, paprika, cumin and salt; cook until the onions have caramelized slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add black beans, stir to combine and heat through (about another 5 minutes).
- Slice the potato lengthwise halfway down the middle.
- Top with 2 tbsp shredded cheese, 1/3 cup of black bean mixture, 2 tbsp Greek yogurt mixture and 2 tbsp salsa of salsa. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information per serving (1 potato):
Calories: 330 cal, Fat: 5g, Protein: 15g, Carbohydrate: 53g, Sugar: 1g, Fiber: 10.5g, Sodium: 312mg
Adapted from: http://www.skinnytaste.com/loaded-baked-sweet-potato/