Written by: Kathryn Cassellius, MS, RDN, LDN
During this time of increased stress and anxiety, it is more important than ever to focus on your mental and physical health; and whether your routine has changed, or you feel cooped up at home, it is important to incorporate physical activity into your routine. Staying active not only supports physical health but also helps to improve mood, reduce anxiety, boost energy level and immune function, improve sleep and strengthen bones and muscles. Here are some outdoor and indoor activity ideas to incorporate into your routine!
Walking, running, biking, gardening, being active at a local park; just make sure to maintain the recommended distance from others.
Resistance bands, wall sits, plank, push-ups, weightlifting using free weights or a can of soup, squats, sit-to-stands using a sturdy chair, lunges, single leg step-ups on stairs, pull ups, and sit ups. Walk briskly around the house or up and down the stairs, dance to your favorite music, jump rope, or use a home cardio machine
Companies offering free exercise classes to everyone (even if you are not a member):
- YouTube: variety of workouts including Walk at Home by Leslie Sanson, HIIT, Yoga with Adriene, kickboxing, Billy Blanks Tae Bo, Zumba, Pilates, and strength training
- Nike Training Club: over 200 workouts including strength, cardio and yoga workouts that range from 5-60 minutes
- YMCA: virtual fitness classes including Bootcamp, Barre, yoga, weightlifting, and Tai Chi. Browse videos: https://ymca360.org/?utm_source=ymcatriangle&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=y360
- Planet Fitness: 20-minute classes will be streamed live on their Facebook page every day at 7pm EST and no equipment is required (if unable to attend, videos will be available on their Facebook page and YouTube channel). The Planet Fitness app offers access to more than 500 exercises designed for people of all fitness levels.
- Orange Theory Fitness: 30-minute workout videos that do not require special equipment. https://www.orangetheory.com/en-au/member-communication-regarding-coronavirus/
Registered dietitians at Avance Care are currently scheduling appointments via telehealth. To schedule an appointment, please call (919) 237-1337, option 4.
Kathryn is a registered dietitian working at the Holly Springs and Garner locations. She enjoys running and walking outside, reading, baking, and trying new recipes. Since moving to North Carolina in November, she and her husband have enjoyed checking out new cities and places to hike.