Grilled Chicken, Romaine and Corn Salad with Salsa Dressing
Skeptical about grilling your greens? Don’t be! Grilling romaine lettuce slightly softens it and changes the flavor so it becomes slightly smoky and almost meaty. Combined with the sweetness of the grilled corn and tomatoes, this salad pleases all parts of your palate. Not to mention, it comes together in 15 minutes!
Total Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
FOR THE DRESSING:
1/2 cup jarred mild salsa
4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1/2 lime
FOR THE CHICKEN:
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (4 ounces each), trimmed of fat
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cumin
FOR THE GRILLED SALAD:
2 corn on the cobs, husks removed
2 romaine hearts
olive oil spray
4 ounces avocado (1 small Hass) sliced
2 tablespoons diced red onion
1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
pinch of kosher salt
- Combine the salsa, olive oil and lime juice; set aside.
- Season the chicken.
- Light the grill to medium heat. Remove any tired outer leaves from the romaine, then halve each head vertically. Place on a large platter and spray cut sides with olive oil spray. Lightly spray corn with olive oil.
- Place chicken and corn on the grill and cook, until cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side, until the chicken is cooked through and the corn is tender. Remove and place on a cutting board.
- Grill romaine close to the heat source on high heat, cut side down about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove.
- Slice the chicken into strips, cut the kernels off the corn and serve over Romaine with avocado, tomatoes, onions, salt and dressing on top.
Per Salad (1/2 corn, 1/4 avocado, 1 thigh, 2 ½ Tablespoons dressing)
Calories: 288cal, Fat: 14.5g, Carbohydrates: 17g, Fiber: 5g, Protein: 125g, Sodium: 521mg