While salads are typically reserved for lunch or dinner, this breakfast version is a great way to get a head start on your daily veggie intake. The egg provides some lean protein, while the avocado offers some heart-healthy fats. Try mixing up the greens to achieve different flavors.
• Non-stick cooking spray
• 1 large egg
• 2 tbsp. avocado (~1/4 small avocado)
• 2 cups leafy greens (arugula, spring mix, mixed greens, etc.)
• 1 slice whole-wheat bread
• Salt, pepper, and spices of choice
1. Heat pan over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray. Meanwhile, toast bread.
2. When pan is hot, crack egg into pan. When egg white starts to harden, flip over with spatula, ~3-5 minutes (depending on how hot your pan is).
3. Once bread is toasted, spread avocado on slice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. When egg is done to your liking, slide out atop mixed greens. Season with salt/pepper/spices as desired. Serve with avocado toast. Egg yolk becomes a rich dressing for the salad greens!
Total fat: 4g