Create Your Own Trail Mix
Written by: Mindy McCullough, MS, RDN, LDN
Total Time: 5 minutes
Makes: 4.5-5.5 cups
Serves: ~15 people
1 ½ cups raw or dry-roasted unsalted almonds, pecans, walnuts, and/or cashews
1 cup raw or dry-roasted unsalted sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
1 cup unsweetened dried fruit
Spices (½ tsp cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice, ½ tsp chili powder, etc.), optional add-ins (choose 1-2):
½ cup chopped dark chocolate
1 cup popped plain unsalted popcorn
1 cup lightly salted pretzels
½ cup peanut butter chips or other flavored baking chips
1 cup cereal (Cheerios, Kashi Go Lean, Chex)
- For your trail mix base choose nuts, seeds, unsweetened dried fruit, and an optional spice. Place in a large bowl.
- Choose 1-2 options from the add-ins list and add to trail mix base.
- Combine all ingredients. Mix well.
- Store the trail mix in portion sized baggies or reusable containers.
- Trail mix will keep for up to 1 month.
Serving Size: 1/3 cup
Calories: 168-228, Fat: 11-15g, Protein: 4-6g, Carbohydrates: 14-20g, Fiber: 3-4g, Sodium: 16-20mg
Trail mix is a great healthy snack option that can be enjoyed at home or on the go. Nuts and seeds contain heart-healthy fats and protein which will help you stay fuller longer to get you through your busy day. Make this recipe your own with customizable ingredient options.