Written by Avance Care registered dietitian Chris Thompson, MS, RDN, LDN
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
1 ¾ cups whole wheat or white wheat flour
1 teaspoon whole wheat or white wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1/3 cup olive oil or canola oil
½ cup honey or maple syrup
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease your 12-slot muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 ¾ cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil and honey or maple syrup. Beat together with a whisk. Add the two eggs and mix well again. Whisk in the yogurt and vanilla until the wet ingredients are evenly combined into a smooth consistency.
- Using a spoon, pour the wet ingredients into the dry mix and gently mix until just combined (a few lumps are ok). This is your batter.
- In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with the 1 tsp of flour (this prevents blueberries from sinking to the bottom) and gently fold into your batter.
- Evenly distribute the batter between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown, and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins for 5-10 minutes.
Want to take advantage of seasonal goodies? Look no further! These delicious, golden brown, fluffy, and delicious blueberry yogurt muffins combine protein packed Greek yogurt and seasonal (or frozen!) blueberries to make a delicious and nutritious mid-day or after dinner snack.
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Calories: 192, Fat: 8g, Protein: 5g, Carbohydrates: 27g, Fiber: 3g, Sodium: 177mg
Adapted from: https://cookieandkate.com/healthy-blueberry-muffins/
Chris is a Registered Dietitian at Avance Care’s Apex and Holly Springs locations. He loves experimenting in the kitchen, staying active, playing and watching sports, spending quality time with his two dogs, and reading Muhammad Ali quotes.