Green, unripened plantains are traditionally fried to make tostones, but this recipe offers a healthy twist on a classic Caribbean & Latin American side dish!
Serving Size: 6 tostones (1/2 plantain)
2 large green plantains
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Cut the ends off the plantains and score 2 sides of the plantain, cutting through the skin.
3. Microwave until soft in the center, about 6-6 ½ minutes for 2 plantains. (The skins will turn black).
4. Peel the skins off and cut into ¾ inch thick slices while hot (about 12 slices per plantain).
5. Smash each piece with a jar, can, tostonera or something flat to flatten each slice.
6. Place them on the baking sheet, spray generously with oil, season with salt (if desired).
7. Bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Flip and bake on the other side, about 8 minutes.
8. Enjoy while hot!
Nutritional Information: Calories: 137 kcal, Fat: 1g, Carbohydrates: 36g, Fiber: 3g, Protein: 1g, Sodium: 6 mg (without salt)
Adapted from: http://www.skinnytaste.com/baked-tostones-green-plantains/