Nutrition Fact: Apple butter is a perfect way to transform almost any food into an Autumn season food. Slather it on toast or an English muffin with peanut butter, mix into muffin or pancake batter and yogurt, dollop onto pork tenderloin, or use it as a spread on ham or turkey sandwiches for a subtly sweet surprise. This recipe relies on the apple’s natural sweetness, no added sugars! For this reason, we recommend using sweeter apples like Gala or Honeycrisp varieties. Pack into smaller jars and give as gifts or freeze for up to 6 months.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 11 hours
Makes: about 3 cups
5 lbs. apples (about 7 medium), gala or honey crisp are recommended
2 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ cup water
- Core and chop apples (leave the peel on, if desired)
- Place apples in the slow cooker and add spices and water.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours.
- Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. Or, transfer apples to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Reset slow cooker to high and cook mixture for two more hours. Leave the lid partially open to allow some moisture to escape (which helps to thicken the mixture).
- Stir every 30 to 45 minutes to ensure apple mixture doesn’t burn on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Turn off slow cooker and allow apple butter to cool.
- Store in resealable jars in the refrigerator or freezer.
Nutrition Information per serving (1 Tablespoon):
Calories: 48 cal, Fat: 0g, Protein: 0g, Carbohydrates 4g, Sugar: 3g, Fiber: 1g, Sodium: 0mg