5 Tips for Staying Healthy in the Winter
- Make sure to eat a well balanced, healthy diet. Many people tend to gain weight in the winter, so try to make healthy choices by exercising portion control, limiting sweets, avoiding soda, and reducing fat, cholesterol, and salt intake. Check out our link for a custom weight loss plan
- Find creative ways to exercise in the cold. Whether it’s going to a gym, doing a work-out video at home, or still enjoying a walk outdoors on warmer days, it is important to continue to exercise at least 30 minutes 5 days a week. Jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, and lunges are great examples to include in an indoor exercise routine.
- Many people become sick with colds or the flu in the winter months. One of the best ways you can protect yourself is by washing your hands. This helps to limit the spread of infection and will hopefully keep you healthier. Covering a cough with your elbow rather than your hands reduces the spread of germs. Get an annual flu vaccine to decrease your risk of getting the flu.
- Sometimes people may feel depressed after the holiday season. If you or someone you know is struggling with depression, seek help and let someone know. Many people see an improvement in their depression after treatment with counseling, learning to develop positive coping mechanisms, and occasionally with medications.
- Living healthily is a lifestyle, so make sure the healthy choices you make are sustainable and not something you view as only short term. Many people find it helpful to set New Year’s resolutions – find ways to keep yourself accountable and make sure you follow through on your goals.
At Avance Care, we want to help you stay healthy! If you have any questions or would like any additional advice on how to remain healthy or improve your health, we are always more than happy to help you!
Happy New Year!
– Allison Gapinski FNP-C
Categories: Healthy Living