This beautifully presented dish is a new Mediterranean chicken take on the Hasselback (potato) style, sliced thin pockets filled with goodies. Can also be served with brown rice if a grain is desired.
- 2 (8-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Campari (golf ball sized) tomatoes, sliced
- 2 ounces Buffalo mozzarella cheese, cut in half and sliced thin
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto
- 24 medium asparagus stalks, washed and ends cut off
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the chicken breasts crosswise every ½ inch (not cut all the way through). Lightly salt and pepper.
- Alternating, fill cuts in the chicken with tomato and mozzarella slices.
- Brush the filled chicken with pesto and place on half of a lined baking sheet. Cook in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Toss the asparagus in the olive oil, lightly salt and pepper and place on other half of the baking sheet and place back in the oven for an additional 25 minutes or until the cheese has melted and chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove sheet pan from the oven and squeeze lemon on asparagus.
- Cut chicken breasts in half and place half on each plate. Divide asparagus between plates and lightly drizzle chicken and asparagus with balsamic glaze. Serve with rice if desired. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Serving Size: 1/2 large chicken breast and 6 asparagus spears
Calories: 325, Fat: 17g, Protein: 33g, Carbohydrates: 11g, Fiber: 3g, Sodium: 609mg
Adapted from: https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/261639/hasselback-caprese