Controlled Substance Policy
What are Controlled Substances?
Narcotics/Opiates for Pain
- Oxycontin / Percocet (Oxycodone)
- MS Contin / Kadian (Morphene)
- Norco / Vicodin (Hydrocodone)
- Tylenol # 3 (Codeine)
- Tramadol (Ultram)
- Many others including Opana / Nucynta / Fentanyl
Benzodiazepines for Anxiety and/or Insomnia
- Many generic anxiety / insomnia medications end in “pam” such as Lorazepam
Narcotic Cough Medicines
- Tussionex (Hydrocodone)
- Phenergan with Codeine
Avance Care Policies Regarding Controlled Substances:
- Controlled substance prescriptions are for pick up at the office only. We do not e-prescribe or fax these prescriptions.
- Prescriptions are given for only one month at a time, so a new prescription will need to be picked up at the office each month. Therefore NO 90 days supply of medications through online services will be prescribed.
- Prescriptions can only be picked up by the patient whose name is on the medicine, UNLESS we have a signed form noting a specific family member can pick up the prescription on behalf of the patient. Minor children are NOT able to pick up prescriptions for parents.
- Patients should submit requests for refills with a minimum of 5 days BEFORE the medication is going to run out to give their provider a sufficient amount of time to respond to the request.
- The patient will be required to have an appointment in the office every 3 months to recheck the problem that is leading to the use of controlled substances.
- If there is any suspicious behavior including frequent, early refill requests or multiple “lost” prescriptions we have the right to terminate this agreement and refuse further prescription requests.
- We will run a report on the NC Controlled Substance Report System at each visit.
Patients on controlled substance treatment are required to sign a Controlled Substance Agreement. Some of the conditions of this agreement are:
- Patient will take this medication only as prescribed and will not change the amount or frequency without authorization from the prescribing physician.
- We will not provide early refills or receive replacement of lost or stolen medication.
- Patient is required to obtain the prescription only at a pre-agreed pharmacy location.
- Patient is required to submit random urine or blood tests to assess compliance to treatment.
- Patient-Physician relationship is terminated if regularly scheduled appointments are not kept or the prescribed treatment plan is not followed.
- Patient is required to confirm by signature that they have not given any false health facts and are not seeking treatment under false pretense.
- Patient is required to release Avance Care from any liability related to their misuse of the controlled substance prescribed.
If you have further questions regarding our Controlled Substance Policy, please contact our office or speak with your provider.