What a fun (fetti) cookie for your next party! The sprinkles bring pops of bright color, the almond flour lends a soft, slightly chewy texture, and the almond extract brings the taste of amaretto. These are a great gluten-free treat to share with your family and friends!
2 ¼ cups (200g) almond flour
7/8 cup (175g) granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites
¼ teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup confetti quin sprinkles (these are flat, round sprinkles that look like pieces of confetti, can be found at most grocery stores or online. They will work better than standard sprinkles.)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Stack two matching light to medium colored cookie sheets, one inside the other. This is vital to this recipe. Stacking the sheets will prevent the bottoms of the cookies from getting too brown. Line with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, sugar and salt until evenly incorporated
- In a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk egg whites and lemon juice until they hold soft peaks. Soft peaks barely hold their shape and the peak flops over immediately when the whisk is lifted.
- Add beaten egg whites and almond extract to the dry ingredients and stir until it forms a soft sticky dough. Knead with hands if necessary.
- Stir in sprinkles until evening distributed.
- Lightly dust your hands with powdered sugar. Portion dough into 1-inch balls. Roll until smooth and then roll in powdered sugar. Arrange on the cookie sheet, leaving 1 inch between cookies.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the tops are cracked and the bottoms are just barely golden. An extra 5 minutes will give you crunchier cookies if preferred.
- Remove from oven, let cool a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Keep at room temperature in an airtight bag or container, up to 5 days.
Serving Size: 1 cookie
Calories: 95, Fat: 5g, Protein: 2g, Carbohydrates: 10g, Fiber: 1g, Sodium: 29mg
Adapted from: https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2020/08/confetti-amaretti-cookies.html